So one of the school activities at school is fall camp. This year, it was decided that we would take our 25 high school students tent camping for two and a half days. During the planning process, I wasn't exactly sure how this was all going to work out since camping is not a prevalent pastime here. Deciding on a menu that didn't require the use of a refrigerator was also intriguing. Camping in China with this many people had never been attempted for fall camp before and we were heavily relying on Him to work out all of the small details. So, with a "I'm not entirely certain how this will all work out, but we're going to give a shot" attitude, we completed our schedule of activities, purchased the needed items, and set off for the woods.
It was quite refreshing to see nature in China, which is a rare sight in the middle of the city. The campsite was located in a valley between a few mountains. Nothing could beat waking up to the sun peeking over the mountain tops while the fog snaked its way between the peaks. The campsite didn't contain running water or electricity, and the "bathroom" facilities were a bit frightening. However, the experience was great and the students really enjoyed the few days we were there. I was extremely impressed with the fact that the students did not complain even though this was out of their comfort zone for many. However, they all approached the activities and the entire camping experience with excitement. The activities included various team building games and a hike through one of the mountains. After playing in the refreshing mountain stream, the lack of showers didn't seem to be a big deal anymore.
I believe one of the most amusing moments happened during the challenge hike on the second day. The hike itself took about 45 minutes, but there teachers placed at different spots along the trail and as the students got to each station they had to complete a team building challenge. For my station, I tied a rope between two trees and they had to get their entire team over the rope without touching it, and I was not supposed to assist them. This was a bit hazardous since it was a slightly narrow trail with a steep drop-off on one side. A few of the groups decided that the best option open to them was to simply vault over the rope and hope for the best landing on the uneven rock stops on the other side. I informed them that that wasn't an option and then told them that they could use me for assistance.
After assisting almost an entire group over the rope, I went to the other side and waited while the remaining two team members discussed how they would both get themselves over the rope. Again, vaulting surfaced as the only option they actually wanted to try. I then told them that they could use me for assistance. One student looked at me and replied, "you're kind of useless." This was a reasonable response since teachers clearly do nothing but teach, and I'm a woman on top of it so that really added points to my useless score. Thankfully, the female team members quickly reminded him that I had, in fact, helped every one of them over the rope so far. Thus, I was vindicated.
All in all, fall camp was a huge success with the students and it was fun to interact with students outside of the classroom. The whole process was also a huge testament to His provision and what can happen when He is in control. The weather was perfect, the students were enthusiastic, and most didn't want to leave when it came to the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment