I am continually surprised by the many things that are accomplished here without all of the gadgets and conveniences in the States. Even though there are some things here that aren't readily available, the amount of things that are available surprises me. For some reason, I always believed that since I'm living in another country I must immediately give up everything I liked from the States because I couldn't possibly find them here. However, I'm beginning to realize that is definitely not true-I simply have to go about things different here.
For instance, I have never made popcorn with anything but an air popper. I have seen some type of foil contraption that you place on the stove, but I've never actually used one. This afternoon my roommate showed me that you can actually make popcorn in a pot on the stove. Now, this may seem like a ridiculously silly revelation (especially for those of you who are more trained in the culinary art of popcorn than I), but I found it thoroughly enjoyable to sit and watch all of the kernels pop into a small cloud of tastiness.
This particular store may be slightly silly, but I generally come across things like that a few times a week. It gives me a small sense of confidence to realize that I can still do things here that I loved to do back in the States. And of course, it's always exciting to have experiences here that are totally unique to China. It may be small, but these things help to make this place feel less overwhelming and a little more like a new home.
No comments:
Post a Comment