Tuesday, September 27, 2011

.....hhmmm.......

So I have been trying to figure out what I should post for this week. As I get more and more into teaching, I have started to realize what a huge responsibility this is. We always talked about that in education classes, but you don't really realize how true that is until you actually get into a classroom. One of the classes that I'm teaching this year was just added because there is a small group of ESL students that need some specific instruction in reading strategies. And so, along with attempting to figure out ESL in general, I have also been planning/teaching this brand new class. There aren't a lot of resources out there, so a lot of it is very experimental. I have finally come to a place where I see what the students need, I'm just trying to figure out how to teach it.

I didn't realize how many skills you just kind of pick up in school in the States without specifically being taught. For example, I'm attempting to teach them how to research-I can't even remember how I was taught. In fact, I don't think I was specifically taught, I just started researching in high school and that was about it. But, I have found it rather difficult to explain effective internet searching and finding the information you actually need out of the millions of articles that you find. These students have done a lot of research before, but it's an extremely frustrating process for them because they are language learners (and from cultures that don't view research the same way that States does), and I am really trying to show them things that will make the process less agonizing.

Along with that, we are also reading a novel in that class and the themes and life application that can be taken from the book are really good. Again, I have been attempting to connect these themes and issues with their lives. In and of itself, doing this in an English class in the States is hard enough--then you add the language barrier and it gives a delightful twist to life:) .....meh....I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably trying too hard. I don't know, I want so much to show them that books and reading really do matter, but I suppose I can only do so much.

On the other hand, my 8th grade lit. class has been a lot of fun. They are a group of students that just love reading. I continue to be impressed with their insight and their desire to learn and ask questions.

I also have a new appreciation for the teacher who teaches the religion class here. My ESL student (yes, I only have one-my other student was deemed proficient enough to pass out of ESL) brings in her homework from that class, and we work on it together. There have been many times that I have been rather stuck as to how to explain certain passages, or faith in general to someone who has very basic English skills. Again, I kept thinking about the opportunity that I have in that class as I work with her and attempt to explain things about faith.

Even in these couple short months, I have experienced many challenges and opportunities that I wasn't expecting. There have been bright spots, but I think I'm just beginning to understand what this job will require of me. He certainly does like to stretch and challenge us:)

1 comment: