So this was my first Thanksgiving that I didn't spend with my family, and it was one thing I was honestly worried about when I came over here. When I came over this time, I wasn't sure what to expect. During student teaching, homesickness was a huge struggle for me, and I was kind of expecting that to happen again. However, it has not been an issue this time around. I still miss family and friends, of course, but it is not in the same way it was during student teaching. I wasn't sure how I would handle the holidays, but it was surprising to find that it was not the struggle I thought it would be. Though, that might have something to do with the fact that I get to go home for Christmas this year-which is actually in only a few short weeks.
The holiday was actually quite fun. After school on Thursday, a group of teachers went to Aloha (an American style diner) who was serving all of the traditional Thanksgiving foods. It was fun to spend the evening eating way too much with everyone-that tradition still lives on:) Another tradition that my roommate has is to go shopping for Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving. So, on Friday a few of us went to the "crazy" market. This market is aptly named because it is HUGE-and there are lots of people............everywhere...........because it's China. We got some new decorations and a few other things for the apartment.
We spent the evening putting up the tree and decorating. If I could ever figure out how to post pictures on here, I might have to put some up. Our apartment is a bit of an eclectic assortment of colors that may or may not match. The walls in our apartment are stark white and I think that we decided we just wanted color.......everywhere. All in all, our apartment feels quite homey:)
"Because it's China."
ReplyDeleteYou are too funny. I am starting to think that I want to come teach overseas. Though the home (and church) sickness thing might be a toughie for me too. Meep!
I'm so jealous that you can have a Christmas Tree!!!!!!!! If I had one I would place my building at risk of burning to the ground.
ReplyDelete